Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Healthier Pumpkin Bread

About a month ago I was craving pumpkin bread so badly!  I went online to find the absolute best recipe I could find. I came across the Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread Recipe from allrecipes.com    It has been reviewed by 4600 people and it received 5 stars. I decided to make it my own and I'm pretty happy with my results.  I like to pig out on pumpkin bread and since I've been really making a strong effort to be healthier I made a few changes.
I switched out two of the cups of flour for whole wheat and instead of vegetable oil I used half olive oil and half applesauce.  The first couple of times I didn't do anything to change the sugar, but this time I took out an entire cup of it.  I think next time I'll leave the sugar in because it tasted a little bit to bland this time. 



Ingredients

    1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup applesauce
    2/3 cup water
    3 cups white sugar
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
    In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, applesauce, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
    Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Hungry anyone? Just looking at this picture makes me want to go make more!


No comments:

Post a Comment